This lovely parcel was purchased back in 1997 as land with an old cottage and then developed as the original location for the Giant Steps Therapeutic Riding Center, which is now based at Sonoma Horse Park on Lakeville Highway. In those days, they bred Tennessee Walking Horses here. The property has changed hands a couple of times but there is a story as to how it came to be in its present condition. This information is presented to the best of our knowledge and its accuracy is not guaranteed by us or the estate, but this should provide a better understanding of the property.
Zoned LEA (Limited Extensive Agriculture) it comprises approximately 23 acres and cannot be split into two parcels. There are three wells on property, with production totaling about 25 gallons per minute.
Main Home: the old cottage is what we are calling the main home, although it is a vintage ‘Sears House’ dating, we believe, back to about 1925. Sears & Roebuck supplied the first modular homes in America and these could be purchased from their catalog, after selecting from hundreds of options for floorplans, trims, window styles, etc. The components of the home would be shipped via railroad and then at the receiving end, you would pick up the materials and take them to the building site and assemble them. This original Sears home was updated in the late 1990s and two bedrooms merged into one, making it a 2 BR 1 bath in today’s configuration. It has a big kitchen and an indoor laundry along with a remodeled bathroom. It was used as the office for Giant Steps and has been a rental mostly since then.
Second Unit: Opposite the cottage is a building under tarp which has quite a story behind it. At some point (we don’t know when) this was built as a four car garage and the upper level became a very nice 2 BR, 2 bath apartment, without the benefit of permits. Prior owners discovered that despite its proximity to a stream, that the county would allow this to be permitted if it were structurally retrofitted to meet earthquake safety standards and if the building met all their other requirements.
We cannot show this unit without a written offer but can share that inside it is very nice. Spacious & open, it has a beautiful kitchen with butcher block island, cherry cabinets and stainless steel appliances. Lots of storage and a window overlooking the creek. The home has bamboo flooring and two very nice bathrooms as well as two bedrooms. There is also an Indoor laundry. We estimate that it is approximately 1500 sq. ft. +/- but this has not been measured.
The latest owner of the property embarked on the process of retroactively permitting the structure and engaged planning consultants and contractors to do the work. This work was well underway when the property became part of an estate and is now offered for sale by the Trustee.
We believe that it may also be possible to also build a new home on the property. Please discuss with us and confirm with the Planning department in Sonoma County.
The equestrian facilities have been very lightly used for the past ten years, so would benefit from a little polishing up but the infrastructure here is excellent. Most of the amenities are located across the creek away from the homes, giving privacy.The property has a permit for a commercial horse stable and is fully fenced & cross fenced for horses. We believe it to be suitable for boarding, training or breeding but buyers to confirm for their specific intended use.
- Three barns with a total of 36 stalls.
- The main barn is of wood construction with a wide aisle for safety and six stalls with separate runs. There is a tack room and feed room as well as a training or seminar room. The grooming area includes an examination stock for veterinary use.
- The second barn is a pipe constructed ‘mare motel’ with 28 stalls, two tack/ feed rooms and access to pasture for each stall.
- The third barn is a smaller structure with two box stalls and is located near the cottage. This would make a good isolation or private ‘owner’s barn’.
- The engineered arena is approximately 100’ x 200’ in dimension.
- There is a roundpen, measuring approximately 60’ in diameter.
- Additional Hay/ Shavings barn also houses some workshop space and tractor storage.
- Hot and cold water washrack and multiple grooming areas throughout.
- Several field shelters are placed around the property, which is divided into several large pastures.